Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA)
More than $3 billion of renewable hydrogen projects are vying for funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) to build the first commercial scale hydrogen projects in the country.
In April, ARENA opened the $70 million Renewable Hydrogen Deployment Funding Round to help fast track the development of renewable hydrogen in Australia.
With the initial application stage closing, ARENA announced today it had received 36 expressions of interest (EOI) in the funding round.
The funding round is expected to play a significant role in supporting commercial-scale deployments of renewable hydrogen in Australia and commence the pathway to achieving the Australian Government’s goal of ‘H2 under $2’.
Through the funding round, ARENA aims to support two or more large scale renewable hydrogen projects, with electrolysers of a minimum 5 MW capacity and with a preference for 10 MW or larger. These projects will be expected to be among some of the largest electrolysers in the world.
An overview of the expressions of interest received includes:
- Over $1 billion in total grant requests
- Over $3 billion in total combined project value when you account for private sector investment in the EOIs
- Almost 500 MW of electrolysis capacity, with the size of projects ranging from 5 MW to nearly 80 MW
- A wide range of demand or end use case applications
- Expression of interest applications from every state and territory in Australia
Each project will need to be powered by renewable electricity, either directly or through a contracting approach.
Projects selected in the funding round can also be considered