- Over 70% of overdoses happen to men – males are three times more likely to die of an unintentional overdose than women
- 75% of overdose deaths are accidental
- Overdose rates in Australia are higher than the death toll on the roads.
· Overdose deaths cost our economy more than $13 billion every year. 
- Penington Institute calls on the Commonwealth for a national prevention strategy
· The number of unintentional overdose deaths that involve four or more substances (polydrug use) has almost quadrupled