Battery ignites fire at West Nowra Recycling and Waste Depot

Local fire crews were called to an emergency at West Nowra Recycling and Waste Depot on Tuesday 11 August 2022.

It’s suspected that the fire was ignited by a lithium-ion battery. If a battery is punctured, the lithium reacts with water in the air vigorously, generating high heat and can ignite.

All batteries, including household and car batteries, have real potential to start fires if they are put in your kerbside bins.

Fires can start in the collection vehicles, recycling facilities or even in landfills.

Thankfully there were no injuries at the fire, but for the future safety of our staff working within the waste and recycling process, it’s important that no batteries of any kind be placed in either of the kerbside bins.

Household and car batteries can be recycled for free at all Council Recycling and Waste Depots.

Retailers, including Officeworks, BatteryWorld and most supermarkets also offer free battery drop-off facilities for recycling.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.