Check your collection date for hard waste

A collection of appliances in a pile. Anything that can use power is classified as e-waste when it's ready to be thrown out.

Residents are encouraged to dispose of their e-waste in their upcoming hard waste collection, which will come through the area from January-March 2020.

During the hard waste collection period, different areas of the Yarra Ranges will have a week-long collection period, where metals, bundled branches and other hard waste is collected from the kerbside.

Yarra Ranges Mayor, Richard Higgins, encouraged residents to look up their collection week on the Council website and learn about what can – and can’t – be put out for collection.

“We know the annual hard waste collection is an important time for residents – it’s the easiest way to get rid of furniture, metals and excess branches without having to load them into a car and pay a gate fee at a waste transfer station,” Cr Higgins said.

“With the State Government’s 2019 ban on e-waste to landfill, the hard waste collection period is also a great time to get rid of unwanted appliances or electrical items, which can no longer go in your kerbside landfill bin.

Electrical waste or e-waste is any item with a plug, battery or power cord that is no longer working or wanted. These items contain precious metals and dangerous chemicals and are no longer allowed to be placed in kerbside bins at any time.

Mattresses, metals and appliances collected during hard waste, including e-waste, will be sorted for recyclable material, with the remainder of material being sent to landfill.

A collection of appliances in a pile. Anything that can use power is classified as e-waste when it's ready to be thrown out.

Any item that can use power (through batteries, cords or plugs) is classified as e-waste when it’s no longer wanted, and can’t go in kerbside bins.

“Before chucking anything out on your hard waste pile, check to see if the item is something you could give away to friends or using social media noticeboards, or get repaired – you may even find that the items you want to get rid of could be worth selling in a garage sale,” Cr Higgins said.

Hard waste should be placed out where kerbside bins are collected from, on the Sunday before the collection week begins.

Collections will take place over a property’s designated week, so multiple trucks may come by to collect bundled branches, metals, mattresses, e-waste and general materials separately.

“Collection weeks can differ depending on what side of the road you’re on or the town you’re in, so it’s important to get the right date,” Cr Higgins said.

“We’ve recently updated our website and part of that work was creating a better search function for residents to more easily find their waste collection dates and projects happening around them.

“I encourage all residents to visit our website and find the collection week for their property.

“If your waste hasn’t been collected by the end of the week, report it to us before the following Friday and we will investigate it.”

Residents can place up to three cubic metres of hard waste out for collection, including up to 10 pieces of timber (not fencing), metals and whitegoods (maximum of 50kg / 1.5m length for individual items) and up to 20 bundles of branches tied with non-plastic twine.

Glass, including shower screens and mirrors must be wrapped and clearly marked as glass.

Visit Council’s Hard Waste page to see what can be put out for hard waste collection.

There are a number of items that cannot be put out for collection, such as renovation or demolition materials, bagged or boxed waste, chemicals (including liquids, paints, oils, fluids and hazardous materials), household garbage (items that can go in kerbside landfill bins), gas cylinders, fuel tanks or asbestos.

Some chemicals can be dropped off at Sustainability Victoria’s Detox Your Home events. An event will be held in Lilydale from 16 May, 2020, from 9am-3pm, to coincide with the end of the hard waste period.

Visit Sustainability Victoria’s website to register.

Household paint, fluorescent lights and e-waste can be dropped off for free at Coldstream Waste Transfer Station year-round during opening hours.

Illegally dumped rubbish can be reported to Council on 1300 368 333 or the Environmental Protection Agency on 1300 372 842 or at

Check your hard waste collection date

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.