Moira Shire Council has awarded grants to 18 projects across the shire, totalling $102,716 as part of the Community Strengthening Grants Program.
Mayor Libro Mustica said Council grants were a great way to kick start a community initiative, which was particularly important as communities begin to rebuild with the easing of pandemic restrictions.
“We understand these have been tough times for everyone and Council grants are just one of many initiatives to aide and benefit communities throughout the shire,” Cr Mustica said.
“These grants help facilitate projects which enrich the whole community and can assist in the development of services, management of facilities, co-ordination of events and promotion of tourism, environmental sustainability and health in the community.
“This latest round of grants will help community groups from Waaia, Invergordon and Tungamah to the four main towns of Yarrawonga, Nathalia, Numurkah and Cobram.
“Our grants program aims to support community organisations that provide diverse and effective local services, facilities and activities.
“I would like to thank the Goulburn Valley Regional Library Group who provided support to the applicants with the online application process including computer and internet use.”
The 18 successful projects were –
1. Bunbartha Pony Club – purchase of a portable toilet.
2. Waaia Cricket Club – purchase of a pitch mower and scarifier.
3. Moira Miniature Railway – purchase of furnishing and equipment for new meeting room.
4. Cobram Community House – purchase of gardening tools, promotion, signage, garden furniture, paving, plumbing and raised garden beds for the Cobram Community Garden Project.
5. Numurkah Singers Club – purchase and installation of insulation and cladding for the Numurkah Singers Shed.
6. Cobram Bowling Club – refurbishment of the external bathrooms.
7. Nathalia Go Cart Club – purchase of tractor to support maintenance of the track.
8. Nathalia & District Historical Society – purchase and installation of split system and blinds.
9. Numurkah Toy Library – purchase of sensory based toys.
10.Tungamah Police and Community Youth Club – purchase and installation of quality rubber mat gym flooring.
11.Victorian Skateboard Association – funding to recruit and train three skateboarding coaches to deliver events across the shire.
12.Yarrawonga Football Netball Club – purchase and installation of shade, fencing, drainage and seating.
13.Cobram Barooga Canoe Club – purchasing of a double outrigger canoe.
14.Yarrawonga Community Garden Club – erect and cover with netting a timber framework of the fruit trees and install a self-contained, all abilities toilet.
15.Cobram Football Netball Club – purchase and installation of tiered seating.
16.Cobram Football Netball Club – replacement and repairs to tower lights that are not working.
17.Invergordon Cricket Club – purchase of mower.
18.PARKRUN Inc – to provide access to a free, timed 5km group walk, jog or run each week in Nathalia.