Sport Australia has today announced the finalists for the annual Sport Australia Media Awards.
The Sport Australia Media Awards have been running since 2002 and recognise excellence in Australian sports journalism, broadcasting, production and photography.
There was strong contention for places among the finalists again this year with more than 330 entries received, including 78 entries for the highly-competitive Best sport profile – written category.
Given the unique challenges of 2020, Sport Australia also introduced a new award Innovation in sports media which acknowledges the important role media plays in engaging new participants and audiences in sport.
Due to COVID-19, the 2020 Sport Australia Media Awards will be held online with winners announced in February 2021. Finalists will be notified of the details early in the new year.
A new Lifetime Achievement recipient will also be announced – last year awarded to broadcaster Karen Tighe.
Sport Australia Acting CEO Rob Dalton said: “On behalf of Sport Australia, I congratulate all 51 finalists selected across the 12 award categories open for entry in 2020.
“Once again, the Sport Australia Media Awards has attracted hundreds of high-quality entries, showcasing the world-class reporting and incredible depth of talent within our Australian sports media.
“In a year like no other in Australian sport, the quality of story-telling took another leap making this year’s awards among the most competitive we’ve seen in the 19 years of the event.”
Best sport profile – broadcast
- Chris Gillett, ‘Tayla Harris’, 7.30, ABC TV
- Laurence Billiet, ‘FREEMAN’, ABC TV + iview
- Quentin McDermott, Greg Hassall, Rebecca Armstrong, Ian Harley, ‘Beating the Blues’, Australian Story, The ABC,
- Adrian Brown, Richard Ostroff, ‘The Test – A New Era for Australia’s Team’, Whooshka Media and Cricket Australia
Innovation in sports media
- David Mark, ‘The Science of Running’, ABC
- ‘Siren: A Women in Sport Collective’, Siren Sport
- Jack Snape, ‘AFL and NRL analysis for ABC Sport’, ABC
- ‘Fox Sports Audio, Virtual Crowd and Flying Fox Camera’, Fox Sports Australia
Best coverage of sport for people with disability
- Matthew Carmichael, ‘Paralympic Presence’, 7 News
- Daniela Intili, ‘Nine-year-old Brydi’, ABC
- Scott Spits, The Age
- Nas Campanella, Celina Edmonds, John Lang, ‘Sydney Paralympics 20th Anniversary’, ABC
Best depiction of inclusive sport
- Johanna McDiarmid, ‘The Cheer Community’, ABC
- The Outer Sanctum, ABC
- Amanda Shalala, ‘In Her Words’, ABC
- David Davutovic, Ben Coonan, ‘Football Belongs’, Optus Sport
Best coverage of a community sport issue – rural & regional media
- Daniel Miles, ‘AFL called on to give greater recognition for marngrook and Moyston as home of football’, ABC News
- Nick Wright, ‘Sporting Chance’, Townsville Bulletin
- Donna Page, ‘It’s Just Not Cricket’, Newcastle Herald
- Kieran Pender, Mike Bowers, ‘From the ashes of catastrophe: how ‘aqua therapy’ is helping a town through 2020′, Freelance, Guardian Australia
Best sports photography
- Darrian Traynor, ‘Throwing everything at it’, Freelance/Getty
- Michael Dodge, ‘Iso training’, Australian Associated Press
- Scott Barbour, ‘Flying high’, Australian Associated Press
- Scott Barbour, ‘The Melbourne Cup’, Australian Associated Press
Best reporting of an issue in sport
- Jessica Halloran, Julian Linden, ‘On Thin Ice: Katia’s Story’, The Australian and The Daily Telegraph
- Caro Meldrum-Hanna, Amy Donaldson, Fred Shaw, Justin Stevens, ‘The Final Race’, 7.30, ABC TV
- Jenny Sinclair, ‘Fertility and elite female athletes’, Netball Scoop
- Quentin McDermott, Angela Leonardi, Caitlin Shea, ‘Boots and All’, Australian Story, ABC TV
- Andrew Probyn, Jack Snape, ‘Sports Rorts: from kick-off to cash splash and that colour-coded spreadsheet’, ABC News
Best sport coverage by an individual – video
- Brenton Speed, Fox Sports Australia
- Zac Bailey, NRL Digital and NRL.com
- Kelli Underwood, ABC and Fox Sports Australia
- Amanda Shalala, ABC
Best sport coverage by an individual – written
- Julian Linden, The Daily Telegraph
- Will Swanton, The Australian
- Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
- Adrian Proszenko, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sun-Herald
- Tracey Holmes, ABC Online
Best sport coverage by an individual – audio
- Neroli Meadows, Freelance
- Quentin Hull, ABC Radio
- Gerard Whateley, SEN
- Tracey Holmes, ABC Radio
Best coverage of a sporting event
- SBS Sport, ‘2020 Tour de France’
- The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, ‘ICC Women’s T20 World Cup’
- The Sydney Morning Herald, ‘Best Games Ever’
- Fox Sports Australia, ‘Boxing Day Test’
- Optus Sport, ‘UEFA Champions League’
Best sport profile – written
- Iain Payten, ‘Judging Jane Saville’, The Sydney Morning Herald
- Konrad Marshall, ‘From prison to premiership: the road to Marlion Pickett’s AFL debut’, Good Weekend
- Adrian Proszenko, ‘The method and madness of Des Hasler’, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald
- Megan Hustwaite, ‘Tour of Duty’, Herald Sun Weekend magazine.