The Launceston Firearms Taskforce has charged a man and seized 21 firearms, ammunition, drugs and stolen property during searches of two Longford properties.
Two addresses in Pateena Rd, Longford were searched over two days on 25 and 26 June and police seized:
- 21 Firearms
- Thousands of rounds of ammunition
- Stolen property
- Illegal drugs discovered in a hidden underground bunker
More than 30 police were involved in the targeted searches, from Launceston CIB, Northern Drug Investigation Service, Serious and Organised Crime Division, uniform police Northern Forensics, Drone Pilots, Search and Rescue Police and the SES.
A 40-year-old Longford man was arrested and charged yesterday with:
- Possess a firearm to which a firearms licence may not be issued
- Possess a firearm when not the holder of a firearms licence
- Possess ammunition when the holder of a licence
- Unlawful possession of property
- Cultivate/Possess controlled plant
The man has been bailed to appear in the Launceston Magistrates Court on 18 August 2021.
Investigations are continuing and police have not ruled out further arrests.