The Australian Research Council (ARC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ms Judi Zielke PSM, has convened an expert working group to support the ARC to develop a modern data driven approach for Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
ERA is Australia’s national research assessment, administered by the ARC. It identifies and promotes excellence in research in Australia’s higher education institutions through comparisons with international benchmarks.
The ARC will develop a plan to transition ERA to a modern data driven approach in line with the Statement of Expectations. An ERA evaluation round will not be conducted in 2023. This will reduce workload for universities and enable the ARC to prioritise this work.
Ms Zielke said the working group will provide insight and expertise in developing the plan.
“The ARC is committed to delivering a robust and world leading research quality assessment and we will work with the sector in designing a modern, data driven assessment model,” Ms Zielke said.
“A revised ERA will give Australians confidence that Australian universities continue to produce world leading quality research for the advancement of Australian society.”
The working group will comprise:
- Ms Judi Zielke PSM, CEO, ARC (Chair)
- Professor Marnie Hughes-Warrington AO, DVCR, University of South Australia
- Professor Chris Moran FTSE, DVCR, Curtin University
- Professor Mary Spongberg, DVCR, Southern Cross University
- Professor Nick Fisk AM, DVCR, University of New South Wales
- Professor Kate McGrath, DVCR, University of Technology Sydney
- Professor Duncan Ivison FAHA, Previous DVCR, University of Sydney
- Mr Alistair Maclean, Chief Executive Officer, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency
- Ms Vicki Thomson, CEO, Go8
- Mr Dom English, First Assistant Secretary, Department of Education
- Professor Steve Larkin, PVC-Indigenous Engagement, University of Adelaide
- Professor Cameron Neylon, Curtin University
- Mr Tony Sheil, Director, Office for Research, Griffith University
- Ms Michelle Duryea, Convenor, Research Officer Directors Special Interest Group, Australasian Research Management Society
“The ARC recognises the importance of working with experts across the higher education and research sector, especially with the diverse range of research disciplines ERA covers,” Ms Zielke said.
Broad consultation will occur later this year. The transition plan will be delivered by December 2022 for implementation in 2024-25.