Students treated. Support services being provided. Investigation underway
Three second-year undergraduate students have been treated for minor skin burns after a chemical spill in a lab at the Science Teaching Facility of the University of Wollongong.
One male and two female students were exposed when an acid solution was spilt while conducting a routine experiment as part of their science class. All were wearing personal protective equipment (PPE).
Emergency services were called and the affected students were treated on-site before being transported to Wollongong hospital for further medical care.
UOW is currently investigating the incident and will report it to SafeWork NSW.
The University is committed to the safety and welfare of students. Student services staff are in contact with the affected students and their families to offer support and assistance.