On Tuesday, Telstra today announced an assistance package for its residential and small business customers in New South Wales and Queensland who have lost services due to fire.
Telstra’s regional spokesperson said bushfires in Queensland had affected Telstra’s mobile and fixed line services, and the assistance package would provide customers with access to free and interim services during the recovery period.
Eligible areas in QLD include; Beechmont, Boreen Point, Lower Beechmont, Noosaville, Bungundarra and Yeppoon.
Eligible areas in NSW include; Forster, Taree, Harrington, Glen Innes, Nymboida, Bellbrook, Mooral Creek, Hollisdale, Wherrol Flat, and Rainbow Flat.
Telstra is encouraging people to head to the Telstra Exchange website for a full list of zones where their assistance packages have been announced.
“Some of our customers are displaced or have lost their homes to fire, and now it is more important than ever for them to be able to reach out to friends and family,” the spokesperson said.
“We are making this package available so customers can still be connected in their time of need.”
“As well as supporting customers, the assistance package would also provide the wider community with free calls and free Telstra Air Wi-Fi through local payphones.
“Our teams are working to restore impacted services as quickly as possible. In some cases, adverse conditions are preventing us from reaching some areas but we will attend as soon as it’s safe to do so.
“We have been advised that conditions in Queensland may worsen in the coming days, so we will continue to work closely with the authorities to roll the assistance package out further if required.”
Customers who have had to evacuate or have lost their home are encouraged to call Telstra on 132 203 (then enter their full home phone number including area code when prompted) to report a fault and register for the assistance package.
Telstra’s relief packages can include the following:
Short term measures (for Telstra customers who have a short term impact – temporary evacuation of premises or temporary fault):
- Free use of Telstra public payphones in the affected areas
- Free use of Telstra Air payphone hotspots in the affected areas
- Free call diversion from an affected fixed home or business phone service to another fixed or mobile service of the customer’s choice, regardless of the carrier
- Customers who use the free call diversion to divert their affected fixed home or business phone to their Telstra mobile service, can also make local and STD® calls on their mobile at fixed line rates, in accordance with their selected plan (limited to one designated Telstra mobile per affected household or business)
- Affected Telstra mobile customers who do not have a Telstra home phone can receive a one-off credit to the value of $100 inc. GST (limited to one mobile phone per Telstra mobile account).
The above offers are applicable until network damage in the area due to fire is repaired, or while customers remain evacuated, for a maximum period of three months from the date of the fires.
Long term measures (for Telstra customers who have suffered severe damage to or loss of their premises):
- Free call diversion from the customer’s Telstra fixed phone service to another Australian fixed or mobile service of their choice, regardless of the carrier. This offer is applicable for a maximum period of 6 months from the date of the fire.
- In addition, Telstra will apply a one off credit to the value of $500
inc. GST to the customer’s Telstra fixed phone account to help cover the costs
of the following, if required:
- Connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at one temporary residence
- Re-connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at the customer’s
original permanent premises