Unaccompanied learner driver charged with drink driving and speeding – Operation Stay Alert

An unaccompanied learner driver has been charged with high-range drink driving and exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h during operation stay alert.

Operation Stay Alert began at midnight on Friday (5 June 2020) and concludes at 11.59pm today (Monday 8 June 2020), with officers targeting speeding, drink and drug driving, driving while fatigued, mobile phone, helmet and other traffic offences.

About 9.20pm yesterday (Sunday 7 June 2020), a Ford Falcon was detected travelling 150km/h in a signposted 100km/h zone, on the Princes Highway near Pointer Road, Yatte Yattah.

Officers from Ulladulla Traffic and Highway Patrol stopped the vehicle and subjected the driver – a 35-year-old Marulan man – to a roadside breath test, which returned a positive result. Checks revealed the man held a learner licence.

He was arrested and taken to Ulladulla Police Station, where a breath analysis allegedly returned a reading of 0.156.

The man was issued a Court Attendance Notice for drive with high range PCA, exceed speed over 45km/h learner, learner unaccompanied and not display L plates. He is due to appear before Milton Local Court on Thursday 30 July 2020.

His licence was suspended, and registration plates of the vehicle were confiscated.

About 9.15pm (Sunday 7 June 2020), a Mitsubishi Lancer travelling on the Hume Highway at Liverpool allegedly lost control and narrowly avoided a pedestrian, before hitting a metal street sign and crashing into a service station.

The 40-year-old male driver was uninjured, and the vehicle suffered extensive damage.

Officers from Liverpool City Police Area Command attended, and the driver underwent a roadside breath test that returned a positive reading.

The man was arrested and taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he allegedly returned a breath analysis reading of 0.185.

He was charged with high range PCA, driving in a manner dangerous to the public and negligent driving.

His license was suspended, and he was refused bail to face Parramatta Local Court today (Monday 8 June 2020).

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, said that these two motorists are extremely lucky they did not harm themselves or other road users.

“This type of behaviour is unacceptable, and it is sheer luck that no one was injured as a result of their poor judgement and lack of respect for the road rules,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“Always have a plan B if you are drinking, know the speed limit and respect yourself and other drivers. We want everyone to return home safely over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend”.

Other items of interest include:

  • About 6.25pm, a Toyota Echo was stopped on Broke Road, Pokolbin, when it was detected travelling 120km/h in an 80km/h zone. The driver – a 31-year-old man – produced a provisional licence and tested positive to a roadside breath test. He was arrested and taken to Cessnock Police Station, where a breath analysis allegedly returned a reading on 0.071. The man was issued a Traffic Infringement Notice for low range PCA, exceed speed limit over 30km/h and not display P plate. His licence was suspended.
  • Officers at Wilcannia stopped a Holden Commodore about 5.40pm on Field Street, for the purpose of a stationary roadside breath test. The vehicle had a smashed windscreen and when it stopped, the 44-year-old female driver allegedly got out of the vehicle and began walking away. She was stopped by police and returned a positive breath test. She was arrested and taken to Wilcannia Police Station, where she returned an alleged breath analysis of 0.152. She was issued a Court Attendance Notice for high range PCA, never licenced and use unregistered vehicle.
  • Just before 5am, officers from North Shore Traffic and Highway Patrol detected a Hyundai i30 travelling at 125km/h in a 70km/h zone. The vehicle was stopped, and the 23-year-old male driver produced a provisional licence. He was issued a Traffic Infringement Notice for exceed speed over 45km/h, which carried a $2482 fine and 12 demerit points. The man’s licence was suspended for six months.
  • Blue Mountains Traffic and Highway Patrol were conducting high-visibility patrols of the Great Western Highway at Leura, when they noticed a Ford Territory flash it’s headlights at on-coming vehicles. When officers attempted to stop the vehicle, it continued driving and a pursuit was initiated. The vehicle stopped on Third Avenue, North Katoomba, where the 34-year-old man was arrested and taken to Katoomba Police Station. He was charged with use/allow use of light on/in vehicle likely to dazzle, not obey direction of police/authorised person, refuse to produce drivers licence/state name/address and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty. He is due to appear before Katoomba Local Court on Monday 7 July 2020.

Key statistics (progressive total), Operation Stay Alert day three:

• Speed infringements: 4733

• Breath tests: 76,164

• PCA charges: 179

• Fatalities: 2

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.