Regional Investigations Unit detectives have charged the driver of a vehicle that failed to stop when asked to do so.
About 1.45am this morning (20 July), officers with emergency lights and sirens activated, attempted to stop a Hyundai Elantra vehicle on Yarruk Street in Yokine.
It is alleged the driver failed to stop and drove off at speed. It is further alleged the driver slowed the vehicle at the intersection of Daley Street and Wanneroo Road to let the front passenger exit the vehicle and flee. Officer were able to stop the vehicle and take the male driver into custody.
Officers followed the passenger on foot as he fled into the Dog Swamp Reserve (Farina Drive) and swam to an island located in the middle of the swamp in an attempt to conceal himself in the reeds.
A canine officer was called and on attendance the officer and police dog Gunner entered the water and waded to the island. PD Gunner was deployed and he located the offender concealed in reeds on the waterline. The man swam back to police and was taken into custody.
The driver, a 29-year-old man from Camillo has been charged with:-
• No Authority to Drive;
• Driver of a Vehicle Failed to Comply with a Direction to Stop (Circumstance of aggravation); and
• Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police.
Further inquiries by detectives into the man who was apprehended by PD Gunner identified he was wanted for questioning in relation to numerous other alleged criminal activities. The 37-year-old man from Wanneroo has been charged with:-
• Four counts of Driver of a Vehicle Failed to Comply with a Direction to Stop (Circumstance of aggravation);
• Four counts of Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police;
• Four counts of No Authority to Drive;
• One count of Breach of Bail.
They are both due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court today, 20 July 2021