The McGowan Government is supporting fifteen community organisations with over $50,000 in funding for projects that help tackle the scourge of litter in our environment.
Keep Australia Beautiful week is held annually with the announcement of the Community Litter Grants recipients being a key feature of the event.
The grant program started almost a decade ago and supports community projects reducing litter and changing littering behaviour in Western Australia. A total of $540,644 has been provided in funding to community and other organisations since the program’s inception.
Each year a range of diverse projects are funded, including community awareness education campaigns and equipment to assist with litter clean-ups. One innovative project received funding for a dinghy for river and beach cleaning.
Keep Australia Beautiful Week aims to build awareness about how every individual can reduce their impact on the environment and encourage action.
Everybody can get involved in preventing and cleaning up litter through Keep Australia Beautiful Council programs, including Adopt-a-Spot, Tidy Towns, Clean Schools, Community Clean-ups and by becoming a litter reporter.
Go to https://www.kabc.wa.gov.au for more information.
As stated by Environment Minister Reece Whitby:
“Congratulations to the 2022 Community Litter grants recipients for their dedication to protecting Western Australia’s environment by tackling harmful litter.
“Western Australians continue to show their commitment to the environment through innovative litter prevention projects.
“Keep Australia Beautiful Week highlights the important work being done by both the Keep Australia Beautiful Council and the wider community in keeping our unique state litter free.”
2022-2023 Community Litter Grants recipients and projects list here:
- City of Bunbury – ‘Keep Bunbury Beautiful Community Engagement’ Project
- Duncraig Primary School – ‘Keep Duncraig PS Beautiful’ Project
- Earth Solutions Avon Valley Inc. – Hydration Stations Avon Valley Events
- Eco Surf Australia – Purchase of the ‘Eco Surf Litter Dinghy’
- Hopetoun Community Resource Centre – ‘Mining Microplastics’ Project
- Our Lady of Lourdes School – ‘Litter Prevention at Our Lady of Lourdes School’ Project
- OzFish Unlimited – ‘Kayaks for Clean Rivers’ Project
- Pilbara Dive and Tours – Dampier Community Clean Up and Litter Education Program
- Share Shed Bassendean – Share Shed Bassendean ‘Party Kits’ Project
- Shire of Carnamah – ‘Adopt-a-Spot’ Program Initiative
- Shire of Exmouth – Keep Exmouth Clean ‘Tackling Marine Litter’ Project
- Shire of Pingelly – ‘Kiya Djiripin Pingeculling’/ ‘Hello Happy’ Pingelly Project
- The Shire of Three Springs – ‘Keeping Three Springs Clean’ Program
- Walpole Community Resource Centre (Inc.) – ‘Little Litter Picker Digital Guidebook’ Project
- York Community Resource Centre – ‘Stump out litter in our community’ Project