More than $6 million worth of safety improvements have now been completed at the busy intersection of Charles Street, Green Street, Walcott Street and Wanneroo Road and Wiluna Street.
Upgrades to the congestion hot spot, which is used by an average 28,000 vehicles per day, included:
- Widening of Charles Street to extend right turn pockets southbound into Green Street and northbound into Wiluna Street
- New and improved southbound left turn lanes, from Wanneroo Road to Wiluna Street and from Charles Street to Walcott Street
- Replacement of the right-turn filter movements with dedicated green arrows for vehicles turning right from Charles Street into Walcott Street and into Green Street
- Two new traffic signal mast-arms to improve visibility of the signals, one on Wanneroo Road at Wiluna Street and one on Charles Street at Green Street
- Upgrades to pedestrian crossing facilities.
The $6.1 million project was funded by the State Government’s Road Trauma Trust Account – Metropolitan Intersection Crashes.
As stated by Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
“Our Government is committed to upgrading roads to improve safety and traffic flow but to also help ease congestion.
“These upgrades will make a big difference to the 28,000 vehicles who use the intersection daily.”
As stated by Mount Lawley MLA Simon Millman:
“Reducing congestion helps reduce rat runs and will free up our local roads, meaning motorists won’t need to seek alternative routes through our local neighbourhoods.
“I’m pleased to be a part of the McGowan Government that is dedicated to improving the safety and reducing congestion on important arterial roads.”
As stated by Balcatta MLA David Michael:
“These intersections are used by thousands of people daily and these safety upgrades will make a big difference to locals.
“This is about improving safety and reducing congestion, which means getting home safer and more time at home with the family.”
As stated by Perth MLA John Carey:
“Charles Street is a major corridor for pedestrians and vehicles so upgrades and improvements are always welcomed by the community.
“These upgrades will significantly increase safety and help reduce the risk of crashes at this busy intersection.”