Automatic Admissions Threshold Remains at 6% for UT Austin

AUSTIN, Texas – As it has since 2017, The University of Texas at Austin will continue to automatically admit eligible Texas students in the top 6% of their high school graduating class for those applying in the summer and fall of 2023 and spring of 2024. This is the same automatic admissions threshold in place for students applying this year as part of the current admissions cycle.

Under state law, 90% of first-year students must be in-state residents and of those, 75% must be automatically admitted to UT Austin. The remaining 25% of in-state students, as well as transfer and out-of-state students, are admitted through a holistic review process. The law requires the university to set the threshold for automatic admission annually.

In 2017, the university lowered the automatic admission rate from 7% to 6% in response to consistent growth in the number of Texas high school graduates and an increase in applications to UT Austin. From 2013 to 2017, applications to UT Austin rose from 38,000 to 51,000. Applications have continued to rise even further since then, reaching a record-high of 66,077 in the most recent admissions-and-enrollment cycle.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.