Beach matting has once again been rolled out this year across five beaches in Port Phillip Bay to givepeople in wheelchairs or with limited mobility the chance to get across the sand to the water’s edge.
Beach matting locations are:
- Mothers beach, Mornington
- Mount Martha beach – in front of the lifesaving club
- Rosebud beach – next to the jetty
- Rye front beach – next to the pier
- Sorrento front beach – next to The Baths restaurant.
The matting is made from recycled plastic bottles, is slip resistant and provides a sturdy path closer to the water’s edge for people with limited mobility. It offers opportunities for grandparents and grandchildren to play together at the beach and wheelchair users to have sensory play in the water.
Feedback from our beach matting trials last summer told us some people hadn’t been able to access the beach in decades. We’re delighted to give people the basic right to feel the cool water on a hot day.
The matting will be out until April 2023.