The Christmas/New Year period is fast approaching. This season’s public holidays are:
- Christmas Day, Sunday 25 December 2022 and Monday 26 December 2022
- Boxing Day, Monday 26 December 2022 and Tuesday 27 December 2022
- New Year’s Day, Sunday 1 January 2023 and Monday 2 January 2023
When Christmas Day and New Year’s Day fall on a Sunday the following Monday is also a public holiday and when Boxing Day falls on a Monday the following Tuesday is also a public holiday under the Public and Bank Holidays Act 1972. However, employment entitlements for public holidays will vary based on an employee’s award coverage and employment arrangements.
Employers and employees in the state industrial relations system can visit the Christmas – New Year 2022-2023 public holiday information page which provides:
- information on which dates are observed as the public holidays for employers and employees covered by key WA awards
- detailed information on public holiday employment arrangements for:
- State system award free employees
- Shop and Warehouse (Wholesale and Retail Establishments) Award
- Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award
- Hairdressers Award.
Wageline can also answer questions about public holidays for state system employers and employees – call Wageline on 1300 655 266.