Tasmania Police, the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) and the Environment Protection Authority, Tasmania (EPA) conducted a combined traffic operation on the Midlands Highway yesterday.
Over the four-hour period, officers conducted:
- 390 random breath tests including a number of heavy vehicles
- 8 random drug tests which were all negative
- 10 heavy vehicle inspections
- 12 defects noticed issued
- 1 infringement notice for an unregistered motor vehicle
Sergeant Ben Kromkamp from Northern Road Policing Services said that during the operation, police also intercepted and charged a 68 year old female with drink driving after she returned a reading of 0.091, almost twice the legal limit.
“The woman was intercepted early yesterday morning and had reportedly stopped drinking the night before.”
“It is a timely reminder that alcohol can remain in your system for a long period of time and that even after a rest period, you may be over the prescribed alcohol limit the next day,” said Sergeant Kromkamp.
“It’s simple, if you’ve been drinking, don’t drive.”