Greater Shepparton City Council is calling on residents to submit their own creations to help build a community COVID Quilt to be displayed at a one, or more, of the region’s many community facilities.
The quilt will be made up of 15x15cm squares, designed and contributed by anyone in the community, which can be knitted, crocheted, patchworked or quilted.
The quilt will aim to feature all that the region has gone through during the COVID-19 pandemic, with contributors encouraged to theme their square on something linked to their experience.
Collection boxes for the local squares will be located at:
- Council Offices, 90 Welsford St Shepparton (open Mon-Fri, 8.15am-5pm)
- Lifestyle Communities Clubhouse, 65 Channel Rd Shepparton (open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm)
- Billabong Garden Complex, 295 Numurkah Rd Shepparton (open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, and Sat-Sun 9am-4pm)
- Shepparton Marketplace Food Court, 110 Benalla Rd Shepparton
- Shepparton Library, 41-42 Marungi St Shepparton (open Tues-Fri 10am-12pm and 2pm-5pm, Sat 9am-12pm and Sun 1pm-4pm)
All collection boxes are accepting contributions now. Please take into account Christmas opening hours for the above locations.
Locals can contribute more than one square, with the left over squares used to make quilts to be donated to local charities.
“Our region has been through so much in 2020, and this community quilt will come together just like our wider community has in this time,” Council Mayor Cr Kim O’Keeffe said.
“It will act as a time capsule, to sit at some of our favourite community facilities and remind us of how we banded together to get through the COVID-19 emergency.
“We are looking forward to seeing just how creative Greater Shepparton can be.”