We’re challenging you to Find Your 30 each day in September in new ways this month.
It can be tough to find ways to stay active when you’re stuck inside for most of the day. But even with these limitations, there are still ways to keep active.
Why should I find my 30?
Doing 30 minutes of physical activity each day can help lead to a happier and healthier lifestyle. Here’s why:
- Brain health: Exercise training can increase brain size and improve memory – reducing the risk of dementia.
- Heart and lung health: Physical activity strengthens your heart and improves lung function – reducing your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack.
- Mental health: Regular physical activity reduces the risk of depression and has a range of benefits for mental health.
- Bone health: Physical activity increases bone mineral density – important for bone strength; reducing risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
- Social benefits: Organised physical activity creates opportunities for meeting new people and socialising.
- Environmental benefits: Physical activity, as a form of active transport, reduces our carbon foot print.
What can I do?
- Follow this simple guide to stretching at home. Suitable for small spaces and no equipment is required.
- Head outside and do some gardening. Enjoy the fresh air and get moving while you prepare your garden for spring.
- Spring is here! Dust off the outdoor balls, bikes and scooters to enjoy warmer weather with the kids.
- There are plenty of online group fitness classes and workouts available to residents of Wodonga to keep you moving and exercising while at home.
In your local community
- Go for a walk down to your local shopping centre to pick up a coffee or lunch from a small business that’s doing it tough.
- Discover one of Wodonga’s parks near your home.
- Explore one of several walking and cycling paths across the city.
- Invite a neighbour to go on a walk around the neighbourhood and catch up while getting active.