A laboratory on Sutton Bonington campus has opened after a multi-million pound refurbishment to modernise and improve the building.
The new look North Laboratory was officially opened by Vice Chancellor Professor Shearer West after undergoing a total refurbishment that has taken almost 2 years to complete and is its first significant upgrade since it was built in 1959.
North laboratory will be home to the Division of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics who carry out nutrition related work. The work in the labs ranges from examining the molecular effects of Vitamin D on muscles; understanding the mechanisms of insect growth so that they can be used for the production of animal feed and human food; examination of the impact of dietary habits within the population on iodine status and determining the nutritional value of sustainable alternative sources of protein.
The building is a mixture of state-of-the-art laboratories, shared offices and meeting spaces.
Professor Tim Parr is one of the academics who will be using the new lab, he said: “It’s fantastic to finally see the lab open and be able to start working from there, it feels particularly special to have this space after months of working from home and being separated from colleagues. This new lab is very much about collaboration with shared spaces and facilities which will also reduce costs around equipment and lab consumables.”
We’re delighted to have delivered a fantastic facility for the Sutton Bonington Campus. It’s been a challenging refurbishment but the feedback we’ve received has been fantastic.