Road-users reminded to take care after Christmas Day fatal – Operation Safe Arrival

A man has died on Christmas Day following a single-vehicle crash in the state’s Central West as Operation Safe Arrival continues.

Police are continuing to investigate after the car left the road on Renshaw McGirr Way at Parkes, crashed into a tree and caught fire about 7.15am yesterday (Wednesday 25 December 2019).

The driver and sole occupant of the car is still yet to be formally identified but is believed to be an 18-year-old man.

It is one of 37 major crashes reported to police on day six of Operation Safe Arrival, the annual road policing campaign for Christmas and New Year, which started on Friday 20 December 2019, and will continue until 11.59pm on New Year’s Day (Wednesday 1 January 2020).

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, said police are reminding all road users to plan ahead before travelling as the holiday period continues.

“NSW Police are disappointed that another young person has lost their life on our roads – on a day that should have been filled with joy,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“With more people on our roads over the next few weeks, please head our warnings and remember to plan ahead to avoid being tired. Make sure you are well-rested before getting behind the wheel, plan to take regular breaks and share the driving with a friend or family member if you can.

“We also know many people will have enjoyed Christmas Day celebrations with alcohol, so do not get behind the wheel if you have been drinking.

“Alcohol leaves the body slowly, which means you could very well still be over the limit the next day – have a Plan B and think about a designated driver,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

As Operation Safe Arrival continues, some examples of irresponsible driver behaviour detected during day six (Wednesday 25 December 2019) include;

  • About 1am, officers attached to Central West Highway Patrol stopped a Nissan Skyline on the Newell Highway, Parkes, for the purposes of a random breath test. When the driver was unable to produce a NSW driver licence, officers checked his details and discovered the 32-year-old Wagga Wagga man’s licence had been suspended until September 2046. He was charged with drive motor vehicle during disqualification period and is due to appear at Parkes Local Court on Monday 3 February 2020.
  • About 7.40am, officers attached to Riverina Highway Patrol stopped the driver of a Holden Commodore on the Hume Highway at Coolac, for the purposes of a random breath test. After speaking with the driver – a 42-year-old South Australian man – officers searched the car locating more than 9g of cannabis, $1000 cash, 100 rounds of ammunition, two knives, a baton and drug-related equipment. The man, whose licence expired in 2012, was arrested and taken to Tumut Police Station where he was charged with possess prohibited drug, drive while licence cancelled, custody of knife in public place, and possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit. He was refused bail to appear at Wagga Wagga Local Court today (Thursday 26 December 2019). A woman and child were also in the vehicle at the time of the arrest.

Key statistics (progressive total):

  • Speed infringements: 7,641
  • Breath tests: 220,703
  • Major crashes: 432
  • Fatalities: 6

Motorists are urged to check for road closures prior to travelling at www.livetraffic.com. Always allow extra time to account for holiday traffic and remember to ‘give way to safety’, especially during the bushfire emergency.

/Public Release. View in full here.