For two days, the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) will be at the centre of a scientific and social analysis of AI and robotics
Once the capital of trade and commerce, Genoa has become a hub for the creation and development of new technologies, in particular those regarding robotics and artificial intelligence, while at the same time maintaining its commercial role through the constantly increasing efficiency of its port services.
It is no coincidence that, as part of the special initiatives dedicated to the G20, the Italian G20 Presidency asked the Scientific Director of the IIT to organise a session in Genoa dedicated to Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.
The result is an initiative taking place on 28 and 29 July, aimed at examining the current state of AI and robotics through an analysis commissioned from international scientists and representatives of Italian civil society.
Over the two days at the end of the month, this program will take the form of two events.
The first, entitled “Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in the perspective of social challenges”, will take place on the IIT premises in the Leonardo Auditorium on the morning of the 28th, and will see the presence of some of the world’s most prominent scientists operating in AI and robotics who, following an introduction by Giorgio Metta, will discuss the state of the art in these fields with the aim of providing indications and further considerations on the direction of related research. (https://multimedia.iit.it/asset-bank/assetfile/17365.pdf).
GUEST PROGRAMME 28 JULY 2021
- 09:30 Giorgio Metta, Italian Institute of Technology
09:45 Tomaso Poggio, McGovern Institute – M.I.T.
- 10:30 Cecilia Laschi(video conference), NUS – National University of Singapore
- 11:15 Break
- 11:30 Rita Cucchiara, UNIMORE – Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia
- 12:15 Lunch break
- 13:30 Bernhard Schoelkopf(video conference), Max Planck Institute 14:15 Michele Parrinello, Italian Institute of Technology
- 15:00 Michael I. Jordan(video conference), University of California, Berkeley
- 15:45 Final remarks
“Visioni del futuro. Intelligenza Artificiale e Robotica: dialogo tra scienza e società” (Visions of the future. Artificial Intelligence and Robotics: a dialogue between science and society) is the title of the event taking place the next day at Palazzo Ducale, in the Sala del Maggior Consiglio. The columnist for the newspaper Corriere della Sera Massimo Sideri will moderate a debate on how Artificial Intelligence and robotics will influence our future, from the world of work to ethical matters, with an eye on space exploration as well as art – music in particular. (https://multimedia.iit.it/asset-bank/assetfile/17378.pdf).
GUEST PROGRAMME 29 July 2021
- Roberto Cingolani, Minister for Ecological Transition
- Giovanni Toti, President of the Liguria Region
- Maria Chiara Carrozza, President of CNR
- Giorgio Metta, Scientific Director of the Italian Institute of Technology
- Giovanni Allevi, Pianist, composer, writer
- Pierpaolo Bombardieri, General Secretary of the trade union UIL
- Monsignor Carlo Maria Polvani, Joint Under Secretary Pontifical Council for Culture
- Ersilia Vaudo, Astrophysicist, Chief Diversity Officer ESA
- Walter Villadei, Colonel Cosmonaut