The University of Barcelona is once again the Spanish university with most researchers among the most cited worldwide. The University of Barcelona remains as the Spanish university with the largest number of researchers on the list of the most influential scientists in the world published by Clarivate Analytics –a leading company in the field of innovation–, which identifies the experts who lead projects with the greatest international scientific impact in various areas of study.
Clarivate Analytics’ Highly Cited Researchers –Thomson Reuters’ former branch dedicated to intellectual property and science– is one of the most distinguished rankings in the academic and scientific international community. The list includes the 6,167 most relevant names in the world in twenty-one fields of science and social sciences, ranging from clinical medicine and neurosciences to agriculture, economics and the environment. There are 103 out of the 6,167 researchers who work in Spanish institutions (1.6% of the total).
During the creation of the ranking, Clarivate Analytics bibliometrics experts have analyzed the scientific articles that are among the 1% most cited by field and year in the Clarivate Analytics Essential Science Indicators. This edition has taken into account the articles that were published between 2009 and 2019. This international classification is also a key component of many rankings of great global projection in the university world, such as the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as the Shanghai Ranking.
The researchers that are linked to the UB and appear in the list of the most influential scientists worldwide, published by Clarivate Analytics in 2020 are the following:
• Jordi Bruix (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS)
• Maria-Isabel Covas (UB-CIBER)
• Josep Dalmau (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS)
• Manel Esteller (UB-Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute)
• Ramon Estruch (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS)
• Francesc Graus (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS)
• Josep Maria Haro (UB-Health Park Sant Joan de Déu-CIBERSAM)
• Rosa Maria Lamuela (UB-CIBERobn)
• Josep Maria Llovet (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS)
• Emili Ros (UB-Hospital Clínic)
• Albert Saiz Hinarejos (UB-Hospital Clínic)
• Eduard Vieta (UB-Hospital Clínic-IDIBAPS-CIBERSAM)