Soil and stubble management will be hot topics at the inaugural meeting of the Arapiles South Ag Group at Clear Lake on Friday 19 March.
The free event by Wimmera Farming Network is supported by the Wimmera Catchment Management Authority and Agriculture Victoria.
Headline presenters include Agriculture Victoria’s Ararat-based Veterinary Officer, Dr Cathy Bunter and internationally renowned soil and plant nutrition expert, Dr Rob Norton of Norton Agronomic.
Agriculture Victoria’s Land Management Extension Officer, Heather Drendel, said that the event will help mixed farmers from the southern Wimmera to better manage livestock nutrition and husbandry when grazing stubble, while protecting soils from erosion.
‘The event will also assist growers in plant nutrition and liming management while maintaining soil carbon,’ she said.
The Arapiles South Ag Group president, Nick Pekin, said that attending events of the recently formed group will be an important opportunity for farmers to connect and share their experiences.
- Agriculture Victoria’s Ararat-based Veterinary Officer, Dr Cathy Bunter has 31 years of experience as a veterinarian, including five years lecturing in animal nutrition at Longerenong College.
- Horsham-based, internationally renowned soil and plant nutrition expert, Dr Rob Norton of Norton Agronomic has extensive experience in soil and plant nutrition research, education, oilseed agronomy, crop water use, managing soil carbon and Wimmera farming systems.
- Local farmers Nick Pekin and Lockie Wilson will also share their experiences with transitioning to variable rate technology.
- Sheep nutrition requirements and soil protection when grazing crop stubble
- General animal husbandry
- Understanding acid soils
- Best bets for lime applications
- Nitrogen management in canola in the southern Wimmera
- Farmers sharing their transition to variable rate technology.