Works deliver seal of approval for North Burnett Road

More sections of Monto-Mount Perry Road will be sealed as part of an $8 million funding boost.

Federal Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said the $3 billion nationwide Road Safety Program continued to benefit communities such as the North Burnett region.

“The Federal Liberal and Nationals Government’s funding for the Road Safety Program will deliver lifesaving measures, such as sealing works on Monto-Mount Perry Road and upgrading other regional roads as part of an initial tranche of funding announced in January 2021,” Mr Buchholz said.

“This funding is also about protecting vulnerable road users across the Queensland while also supporting local jobs and providing a boost to local economies.”

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said works would start in early August, building on sealing works that were funded in mid-2020.

“Last year, we allocated $8 million to seal sections of Monto-Mount Perry Road as part of a $400 million Queensland Government roads stimulus package announced as part of our state’s Covid-19 Economic Recovery Plan,” Mr Bailey said.

“I’m pleased we’re now able to build on that with another $8 million investment with support from the Federal Government.

“It’s part of the key transport link for the Boyne Valley community and an important truck route so we need to make sure the road is ready for the next wet season.

“We’ve prioritised the first unsealed section north of Kerwee Road where works this week.

“We’ll then progressively seal as much of the unsealed section south of Bilboolan Road as funding permits.”

Federal Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd said the funding being delivered under the Road Safety Program demonstrated the Federal Liberal and Nationals Government’s commitment to improving road safety and getting Queenslanders home sooner and safer.

“Upgrading the unsealed sections on Monto – Mount Perry Road will improve safety on a vital link between North Burnett communities,” Mr O’Dowd said.

“The Federal Government has allocated $6.4 million towards these works and the Queensland Government has added $1.6 million to ensure unsealed sections have been prioritised.

“Our Government is committed to securing our recovery and keeping our communities safe.

“The Road Safety Program is part of that commitment, supporting the fast roll-out of life-saving safety works on rural and regional roads, with the funding offered to states and territories on a ‘use it or lose it’ basis in six-month tranches to ensure rapid delivery.

“This announcement is another example of the Federal Government delivering on our commitment to reducing the number of Australians missing around the dinner table due to tragedies on our roads.”

Queensland Assistant Regional Roads Minister Bruce Saunders said sealing roads was one of the simplest ways to improve safety and reduce travel times for locals and freight.

“We know sealing and widening roads makes a huge difference for the local communities that drive them every day, as well for businesses moving freight through the interior of our state,” Mr Saunders said.

“Monto-Mount Perry Road is a vital link to Bundaberg as well as being a key route for tourists travelling from the coast to inland attractions like Cania Gorge.”

Monto-Mount Perry Road, between the Burnett Highway and Kerwee Road, will be closed to through traffic so work can be completed safely and efficiently.

The detour for all through traffic will be in place via Kerwee Road.

Access will be maintained on Monto – Mount Perry Road for authorised vehicles only, including residents, under controlled conditions.

RoadTek will undertake the works from Monday to Friday between 6am and 6pm.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.