People from across Sellafield Ltd and the supply chain gathered at a robotics and innovation event in West Cumbria today to hear how the development and innovative use of technology is key to the clean-up of Sellafield.
Working alongside the Robotics and Artificial Intelligence for Nuclear hub, one of 4 robotics hubs in the UK, Sellafield Ltd is developing, testing and deploying new robotics systems fit for nuclear environments.
This investment is already making a difference at Sellafield, including robotic systems that are:
- cleaning the walls of one of our legacy nuclear storage ponds
- continuously inspecting defined areas for radioactive contamination from a fixed source
- extending radiological and contamination detection to reach restricted or hard to enter places of the site
There are also plenty of opportunities for the supply chain to bring their innovations to Sellafield.
Three specific opportunities were launched at the robotics event:
- Deployment techniques to allow remote working at height in high hazardous areas
- Autonomous removal of Special Nuclear Material packages from a store to a transport container for export
- Remote inspection of Special Nuclear Material packages