Northern Grampians Shire Council has received $2,483,500 in funding from Round 2 of the Victorian Government’s Fixing Country Roads program.
The significant amount of funding received was the most of any Victorian council and will go towards eight different projects around the shire.
Mayor of Northern Grampians Shire Council, Cr Kevin Erwin said, “A big thank you to the Victorian Government, Regional Roads Victoria and the Fixing Country Roads Program for this additional funding which allows us to complete significant roads projects across our shire.”
“The upgrades will service a number of our rural ratepayers and better accommodate the larger vehicles that travel on our roads, as well as some intersection, signage and safety upgrades.”
The eight projects include:
● Dunolly Road Major Widening and Safety Upgrade
○ This project will widen 16.5km of Dunolly Road that has a narrow seal, while bridges and culverts will also receive upgrades to significantly improve road safety.
● St George Road and Cobeys Creek Road Seal Upgrade
○ This project will upgrade 700m of St George Road and all of Cobeys Creek Road (1.6km) which is a frequently used road by local rural residents.
● Landsborough Road Bridges Upgrades
○ This project will strengthen and improve two bridges on Landsborough Road to meet the growing transport demands expected on this route.
● Rural Road Intersections Safety Upgrades
○ This project will implement safety treatments on four of the shire’s highest risk rural road intersections that are fully controlled by council. These are Bulgana and Salt Creek Roads in Concongella, Stuart Mill Low and Murray Roads in Carapooee, McRae and Banyena Roads in Gre Gre North, and Bolangum Inn and Wallace Roads in Kanya.
● Pipetrack Road Upgrade – Stage 2
○ This project will complete the final seal on 3.6km of new road on Pipetrack Road and two intersections that were recently upgraded.
● Banyena Road Upgrade – Stage 2
○ This project will complete the final seal on 4.2km of new road on Banyena Road and two intersections that were recently upgraded.
● Woolpack Road Upgrade – Stage 2
○ This project will seal a further 1.4km of Woolpack Road.
● Great Western-Moyston Road Upgrade – Stage 2
○ This project will complete the final seal on 3.8kms from the Great Western Racecourse to the shire boundary.