A man has appeared in court after allegedly being found in possession of firearms, drugs and nearly $10,000 cash in Tweed Heads.
Shortly after midnight (Sunday 13 June 2021), officers from the Tweed/Byron Police District Proactive Crime Team conducted a Firearms Prohibition Order (FPO) search at a premise on Minjungbal Drive, Tweed Heads.
During the search, police located and seized a .22 calibre home-made pistol, electronic stun device, extendable baton, knife, and a number of prohibited drugs including alprazolam, cocaine, methylamphetamine, cannabis and gamma-butyrolactone.
More than $9,000 in cash was also seized which police will allege is the proceeds of crime.
A 47-year-old man was arrested at the premises and taken to Tweed Heads Police Station where he was charged with 15 offences:
- Acquire pistol-subject to firearms prohibition order
- Possess unauthorised firearm
- Not keep firearm safely-pistol
- Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit (two counts)
- Possess prohibited drug (five counts)
- Supply prohibited drug (between indictable and commercial quantity) (four counts)
- Knowingly deal with proceeds of crime.
He was refused bail and appeared at Lismore Bail Court today, where he was formally refused bail to reappear at Tweed Heads Local Court on Tuesday (15 June 2021).