Employees who believe they have been underpaid can make an underpayment complaint to Wageline, which is part of Private Sector Labour Relations at the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
The process for making a complaint is set out at Making a Complaint about underpayment of wages or entitlements.
State system employees
For state system employees, Private Sector Labour Relations industrial inspectors can investigate alleged underpayments of:
- WA award pay rates and leave entitlements;
- minimum pay rates and leave entitlements under the Minimum Conditions of Employment Act; and
- long service leave entitlements under the Long Service Leave Act.
National system employees
For national system employees, Private Sector Labour Relations industrial inspectors can investigate alleged underpayments of long service leave under the Long Service Leave Act.
Employees in the national industrial relations system can get information on how to resolve any other underpayment issues (e.g. underpayment of an hourly rate of pay) from the Fair Work Ombudsman.
If you are unsure which system covers your employment:
- visit the Find out which industrial relations system covers your employment page for information on who is covered by the state and national industrial relations systems; or
- call Wageline on 1300 655 266.