More than 200 people have been charged during a two-day proactive police operation targeting knife crime and anti-social behaviour across Sydney’s metropolitan regions.
Operation Saber VI was conducted on Thursday 17 June and Friday 18 June 2021, with over 700 officers deployed across the two nights. The operation was comprised of police from the 31 metropolitan police area commands and was supported by specialist units including the Police Transport Command, Dog Unit, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and Operation Support Group.
The operation focused on known ‘hot spots’, public spaces, licensed premises and transport hubs – identifying and disrupting those involved in anti-social and criminal behaviours.
Police charged 207 people with various offences, made 121 drug detections and seized 37 knives.
In addition to this, police issued over 450 move-on directions, 326 Transport Infringement Notices and over 250 Traffic Infringement Notices. In excess of 250 bail compliance checks were also made.
Of note; A 27-year-old woman was arrested at a licenced premise on the Kingsway, Miranda, about 4.40pm on Thursday (17 June 2021), after police located a knife and prohibited drugs in her possession. She was also charged with three outstanding warrants. She was refused bail and appeared at Sutherland local court yesterday (Friday 18 June 2021).
Three knives and a stun device were located after police stopped a VW Golf on Gardeners Road Eastlakes about 8.15pm yesterday (Friday 18 June 2021). The driver was released pending further inquiries.
During a search of a Honda sedan on Horwood Place at Parramatta about 8pm yesterday, police will allege they located three knives and a baseball bat. Police are investigating links this vehicle was possibly involved in a malicious wounding at Campbelltown earlier that day.
A man and a teen have also been charged after they were searched at Parramatta Railway Station yesterday. A 15-year-old boy was charged with custody of a knife in a public place and was refused bail to appear in a children’s court today (Saturday 19 June 2021).
An 18-year-old man was charged with possess prohibited weapon after police allegedly located an extendable baton on him during the search. He was granted conditional bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court on Wednesday 28 July 2021.
A replica pistol, a flash bang grenade, a knife and prohibited drugs were allegedly located during a vehicle stop on the M2 at Carlingford. A 42-year-old man was charged with possess prohibited drug (x6), custody of a knife in a public place, goods in custody, possess unauthorised pistol and possess ammunition. A 36-year-old man was charged with breach of bail. They were both refused bail and will appear in Parramatta Bail Court today (Saturday 19 June 2021).
Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke, Commander of the South West Metropolitan Region, said the purpose of the operation was to identify and prosecute people who illegally carry knives or weapons in public, and anti-social behaviour.
“The operation was also focused on bail compliance, people wanted on outstanding warrants, and targeting hot spots that have been identified through local intelligence gathering,” said Assistant Commissioner Cooke.
Operation Saber was first conducted in February 2020, and due to its success, is now into its sixth phase.
Assistant Commissioner Cooke said he was pleased with the results of Operation Saber VI.
“We continue to see great work from all police right across the Sydney basin. This is continuing to send the message to those involved in anti-social or criminal activity – your behaviour will not be tolerated. If you choose to misbehave or commit offences, you will end up in the back of a police truck and facing the court.
“The safety of the community is always our priority and police will actively engage and arrest people who possess weapons in public places.”
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.