The University of Newcastle congratulates all Australians recognised in the 2021 Queen’s Birthday Honours, in particular those belonging to the University’s esteemed community.
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Alex Zelinsky AO, said the University was proud to acknowledge the contributions of its staff, alumni and donors.
“I’d like to congratulate all those recognised with this high honour and thank them for their work furthering our region’s capability,” Professor Zelinsky said.
“These recipients embody our commitment to excellence – the impact they’re making within their communities and beyond is inspiring.”
The University-affiliated recipients include:
- Professor Adrian Bauman for distinguished service to public health, to the prevention of chronic disease, and to tertiary education.
- Professor Leonard Notaras AM for distinguished service to medical administration in the Northern Territory, and to professional organisations.
Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
- Professor Kylie Ball for significant service to physical activity and nutrition education.
- Dr John Bennett for significant service to education, to mathematics, and to curriculum standards.
- Dr Annette Carruthers for significant service to community health, and to people with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Dr David Durrheim for significant service to public health medicine, and to international health.
- Mr Peter Irwin for significant service to tertiary education, to geography, and to the community of Newcastle.
- Dr Patrice Newell for significant service to the environment, and to sustainable farming practices.
- Dr John Risby for significant service to the steelmaking industry, and to the community of Newcastle.
Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)
- Dr Larry Roddick for service to paediatric medicine.
- Mr Jonathan Biggins for service to the performing arts through theatre.
- Mr John McLeod for service to the community of Newcastle.
Public Service Medal (PSM)
- Professor Nicola Spurrier for outstanding public service to community health in South Australia.