Greater Shepparton City Council is reminding the public that blue green algae was identified in Kialla Lake earlier this month, with warnings still in place.
Water samples from Kialla Lake have been taken to monitor the situation since the algae was first detected. Unfortunately, the recent warm weather has caused the algae to bloom and multiply. The affected area will be treated with an algaecide tomorrow morning, Wednesday 25 January 2023.
Warning signs will remain positioned at major recreational areas around Kialla Lake and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present. The area around Kialla Lake is not closed to the public.
Council recommends water users from Kialla Lake continue to seek an alternative water supply. You can still sightsee and enjoy other activities at Kialla Lake that do not involve direct contact with the water.
It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels. Council will continue to monitor the situation. In the meantime, Council recommends:
- People and pets do not enter the water.
- People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
- Seeking an alternative water supply for pets.
- Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.
- Additional information on blue green algae can be found at Goulburn-Murray Water’s blue-green algae webpage to be informed of the risks.
- Blue-green algae occurs naturally in waterbodies. They contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness, sore eyes, ears and nose, or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
- The water in Kialla Lake is not suitable for human or animal consumption or contact. This includes showering, bathing, washing, cooking, ice making, drinking or any recreational activity in or on the water.