- Progressing structural changes to the organisation in the planning and environment area, with a view to improve efficiency and customer focus.
- Commencement of recruitment process for the new role of Director Planning and Environment.
- Finalising Council new Organisational Service Review Framework to establish a framework of continuous improvement within council, so that we can meet or exceed our community’s expectations.
- Commencement and completion of community engagement surveys for the review of the Community Strategic Plan, with over 400 responses.
- Review of the Community Strategic Plan continued, with engagement of the Hunter Joint Organisation to collate and prepare Council’s Integrated Planning and reporting documents.
Infrastructure and Assets Highlights:
- Timber Bridge Replacement Program – advanced progression into program delivery, featuring 2 complete, 3 under construction, 3 with contracts awarded, and a further 7 currently under tender assessment.
- New Bridge Over Williams River at Clarence Town – the project has moved towards final design, with preparations for a construction tender underway.
- Open Space and Recreation Plan – the consultant has completed community consultation and current state analysis. The upcoming phases include future state analysis and the preparation of a Bike Plan for the LGA.
- Regional Road Transfer and Road Reclassification Review – applications have been submitted requesting the transfer of many of our regional roads to NSW Government management.
- February/March 2022 Natural Disaster – Our assets sustained widespread damage during the severe weather and flooding events. This has caused program reprioritisation and additional repair works in a challenging environment that our crews remain actioning.
- Asset Management Plans have been updated for all asset classes.
- Clarence Town Road – the reporting period has seen rehabilitation works undertaken on four segments, with two achieving practical completion.
- Tenders for the Dungog Library and Gresford Sporting Complex Amenities have been prepared, released and closed during the reporting period.
*It should be noted that many works continue to be delayed by the impact of Covid-19,
materials and labour shortages.
Corporate Services Highlights
- Trainee Records and Information Management position advertised.
- Quarterly budget Review 31 December 2021: Report completed and tabled February 2022 council meeting.
- Annual Budget 2022 – 2023: Draft Budget circulated for feedback and comment.
- Rate Reminder notices issued and debt collection ongoing.
Planning and Environment Highlights
- Completed energy audit of council’s main infrastructure (Admin building, depot, swimming pools), with further information currently being sourced.
- Successful implementation of a contract with Maitland City Council to share service through utilising the Maitland Animal Management Facility.
- Successfully recruited Development Compliance Officer position.
- Fire Safety program continuing, with 17 buildings upgraded to meet fire safety standards so far.
- Use of NSW Planning Portal expanded to include s68 applications under the Local Government Act and s138 applications under the Roads Act.
- Dungog Local Environmental Plan 2014 has been amended to allow for development applications for a Mountain Bike facility at the Dungog Common.
*It should be noted that Planning and Environment is a new department created by an organisational restructure approved in 2021 and implemented during the March quarter.
Activities have been combined for each of the previously separate departments in these highlights, however council’s IPR documents will fully reflect the new structure from 2022-2023.