We are proud to announce the recipients of the Arts Industry Commissions (AIC) Expressions of Interest.
The AIC were a direct outcome of the Geelong COVID-19 Arts Recovery(G-CAR) Panel, which was formed in May 2020 in response to COVID-19 and the devastating effects on the arts, entertainment, creative and cultural industries within Greater Geelong.
Artists working in the creative and cultural sector were invited to respond to themes such as Community Health; Urban Design; Cultural Heritage; Public Experiences; and Marketing/Tourism as a way to support artists and their role in Geelong’s recovery.
The process was highly competitive, with 54 EOIs received and 17 projects commissioned.
Ilana Russell (Art and Public Experiences); Rachel Hanlon (Art and Cultural Heritage); Mary Jane Walker (Art and Design) and Shaun Adams (Art and Marketing/Tourism) are just some of our creatives who will use the Commissions to deepen our understanding of Art as an essential service across all facets of our lives.
Arts Industry Commissions 2020-2021
- Ilana Russell – Expanded Field – (Art + Public Experiences)
- Mirjana Lozanovska – VACANTCity – 1000 years BackForward- (Art + Urban Design)
- Creative Geelong/Barking Spider Visual Theatre – The Object Monologues Geelong (Art + Public Experiences)
- Una McAlinden – Un-Settled – (Art + Cultural Heritage)
- Sofija Kaljevic – (In)tangible Heritage of the Greater Geelong: Public City Space as Virtual Museum – (Art + Cultural Heritage)
- Joel Carnegie – The Storymakers Institute – (Art + Marketing/Tourism)
- Caroline Moore – Water Bearer – a cross-cultural collaboration through music and song (Art + Public Experiences
- The Indirect Object – North Geelong Community Lantern Trail (Art + Public Experiences)
- Rachel Hanlon – Hello Geelong – (Art + Cultural Heritage)
- Helen Duncan – Micro Moves – (Art + Public Experiences)
- Sweethearts – SweetFest – (Art + Public Experiences)
- The Palais – The Palais Memory Project – (Art + Cultural Heritage)
- Sonus Ensemble with Kym Dillon – Geelong: 5 x 5 – (Art + Public Experiences
- Nikki McKenzie / Norm Stanley – Reflecting on Country – (Art + Cultural Heritage)
- Shaun Adams – OK Motels Geelong – (Art + Marketing/Tourism)
- Heather Threadgold/Melinda Kennedy – Geelong 1850s Outdoor Play Johnstone Park (Art + Public Experiences)
- Mary-Jane Walker – The Journey of Extraordinary Encounters – (Art + Urban Design)
Mayor Stephanie Asher
Congratulations to the artists whose projects have been commissioned. The council and broader community are looking forward to seeing these projects brought to life, no doubt enriching our region’s cultural identity.
Council is proud to support the creative industries, which have been hit hard by the pandemic.
Tim Ellis – Acting Director – Economy, Investment & Attraction
The successful Artist Industry Commissions demonstrate the depth, strength and resilience of our creative and cultural community.
As a UNESCO City of Design, the Commissions further open opportunities for the work of our artists to be celebrated on an international stage, especially when Geelong hosts the upcoming City of Design SubNetwork Meeting 10-13 October 2021.