Police charge three after senior police officer assaulted – Warriewood

Three teenagers have been charged as investigations continue after a senior police officer was allegedly assaulted in Sydney’s Northern Beaches overnight.

About 11pm (Friday 12 June 2020), officers from Northern Beaches Police Area Command were called to a fast-food restaurant on the corner of Warriewood and Pittwater Roads, Warriewood, after reports a large group of teenagers were causing a disturbance inside.

Police attended and moved the crowd on from inside the restaurant, with the teenagers beginning to gather outside.

As officers continued their efforts to disperse the crowd outside, a male chief inspector was ushering a group of five teenagers away from the location when he was allegedly physically assaulted and knocked to the ground.

One of the teenagers allegedly stole the officer’s police identification and another stole his phone – which had dropped from his pocket – before the group fled the scene on foot.

A search of the surrounding area commenced with assistance from neighbouring command’s including North Shore, Kings Cross and Sydney City, as well as the Dog Unit and Traffic and Highway Patrol Command.

Following inquiries, a 17-year-old boy was arrested after a foot pursuit on Walsh Street, North Narrabeen, just after 1am today (Saturday 13 June 2020).

About 3am, police attended a home in North Narrabeen and arrested a second 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy.

A fourth teenager – aged 16 – was arrested in Warriewood, just before 4.30am.

They were all taken to Manly Police Station.

Three of the teens were charged with affray, use offensive language in/near public place, and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

The two younger boys were also charged with assault police officer in execution of duty without actual bodily harm. One of them was also charged with steal from the person.

They have all been refused bail to appear at a children’s court tomorrow (Sunday 14 June 2020).

A second 17-year-old was released pending further investigation.

The chief inspector sustained minor injuries and a constable involved in the foot pursuit sustained head and knee injuries and was taken to hospital, however, he has since been released.

Inquiries continue.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.